Monday, February 21, 2005

She returns

Inspired and dismayed by HST's death, in part because it is equally plausible that he was assasinated by them or that he finally felt the penultimate despair of wailing against the morons who run this country, I am back on the internets.

First of all, nobody wants to talk about WMD's, especially my students, who lower their eyes and scowl when I ask them whether or not the WMD thing was some sort of conspiracy. Although to be fair a few were willing to answer yes or no, either way, I am disappointed.

But, this merely leads me to wonder about all the fools who are up in arms about the "liberal bias" of educators at universities. And as I was waitressing tonight while also catching glimpses of "American Idol" on the tube, it occured to me that the liberal bias in education is merely the result of some of us, and I emphasize some of us, because there are plenty of university classes that don't project any politics whatsoever, nevertheless some of us are interested in actually educating people and not REITERATING THE BULLSHIT THAT MANY OF OUR STUDENTS HAVE BEEN MARINATING IN SINCE BIRTH. That's why there aren't classes like "Intro to White Supremacy 101", "Relearning Illiteracy 201", and "Gay-Bashing 100"--you see, most of them already know a bit about these things. T'would be redundant.

So it is not exactly that we are trying to brainwash them into not being racist, not being homophobes, and not being intolerant, we (and by we I mean me) are merely trying to suggest that there are other options out there. And it there's anything the American student likes, it's options, multiple choices, and variety.

Perhaps we merely need to work on our skills of market differentiation. If they could bring mullets back, why not liberalism?

Anyways...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home