10 Years too Late
It has come to my attention, by way of the cultural nexus that is other people's blogs, that the idea of nerdom, nerdiness, whatever you wish to call it, has become very acceptable. It is most likely to my discredit that it took me until today to realize this, but I've been busy, very very busy. Nevertheless, I'm a bit irritated that in 1994 I was a dripping, disgusting, filthy nerd, complete with thick glasses, a grown out perm a la Jennifer Grey, and a burgeoning sense of acne. I was also under the impression that sex occured when two people of the opposite sex stood or laid next to each other, penis at a 90 degree angle, and vagina somehow where the belly button should be. I went to Catholic school, and they relished in keeping us in the dark. Plus this was before the days of internet porn. But I digress. Back to the nerd phenomena. So basically now there's a whole generation out there that respects the avid Star Trek watcher, the Buffy obsessor, and the RPG playing hermit. There's also a whole group of people who value reading and learning as not inherently the death of your sexual attractiveness. And in fact there is a contigent out there that is proud of its coming out of the closet of nerdom. I respectfully admit that nerd oppression has plagued me my whole life and this whole phenomena of open nerdom pleases me to no end. I only wish that it would have started much earlier, so that four years in high school could have been spent in some way other than repressed self-loathing. But I suppose that's the catch. Had we loved ourselves more openly and fully back then we might have turned into self-serving bastards.
Just a thought. Hurrah to all the nerds blogging out there.
Just a thought. Hurrah to all the nerds blogging out there.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home